Sunday, January 08, 2006

Does Bono Really Love America?



So... It seems to be the time of the year that folks are reflecting on this past year. Music seems to be the theme in one of my circles of friends blogs.The past year has provided me with quite a few new opportunities/experiences. One of my goals this year was to checkout shows of my favorite Singers/bands - start working through the list. Lyle Lovett in June, Jack Johnson in August, and the final show of the American U2 tour in Portland right before Christmas. Lyle was great - best show I've seen to date. Jack was solid, the crowd was a little off, and U2- formally my #1 rock band of all time-sucked. U2 was a total let down, or I should correctly say Bono sucked. That's right; Bono, Nobel Prize nominee, human rights advocate, philanthropist supposed lover of America... About five songs into the set Bono walks to the front of the stage and is handed two Flags-one Irish and one American. Holding both he goes back to a center Speaker and drapes 1st the Irish flag over the amp. second the American flag. he lays the flag down upside down. I think - huh he says he loves America - must be a mistake. Nope, he walks to the mic, pauses, and returns to the flag, lifts it up for the crowd to see that it is upside down and places it once again upside down on the speaker... Following this Bono pulls a girl - maybe 10 or 12 years old on the stage and proceeds to lead her in an antiwar chant while discussing the Serbian conflict w/ rhetoric of today's liberal talking points addressing the war in Iraq. And of course, the overwhelmingly left crowd cheers... I ask myself what is more pathetic, the ignorance of the vast majority of the crowd that does not really know the historical references being used as an illustration - paired with the knee jerk response to a liberal talking point (evidenced by the response - the link from the Serb conflict was not accurate to the current Iraq war tie). Or is it more despicable that one as familiar with recent history would use an innacurate tactic exploiting a child, paired w/ a leftist talking point.
So my conclusion is this Bono is a whore. He sits the fence and/or gives the right responses to the given audience to gain their acceptance and money for his charities. At first glance his interests seem positive, but how many more inconsistencies are there. Some have suggested Bono the Antichrist-there are always these witchhunts and I don't care to be a part of that. I can say that I know what I saw and I saw Bono as an anti-American whore. As Bono says I wont spend any more of my "hard earned cash on a U2 show" again.

2 Comments:

Blogger john said...

And what a nice mug it is too - Martha Stewart would be proud.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home